Thursday, September 30, 2010

FRESH INDEPENDENCE!

Moving out of your parent’s home for the first time is an exciting experience. College students have to learn to support themselves after eighteen or nineteen years of pick-me-up from mom and dad. Shopping, cooking, cleaning, getting your homework done, making it to soccer practice on time, among many other things are no longer mama or papa’s job. The responsibility rests on the shoulders of a naive bunch of overgrown kids. BUT! Let’s look on the bright side of college independence for a minute.

When I was about seven years old my best friend and I would spend the nights playing in the street and hiding from the call for bedtime. I recall a particular night when we were traipsing up and down the street causing all sorts of mischief (well as much as any seven-year-old little girls could) when my dear friend realized she was in need of a restroom. It was dark outside, and probably far beyond the time that our parents would normally summoned us to our respective homes. We both became concerned about the fun coming to an end, and decided that the best way to avoid be called to bed would be to find an alternative place for my friend to relieve herself. Neither of our houses was safe at that hour. We continued to attend to our business, until the kidneys of my close friend were on the verge of explosion. We had to think fast and, being the geniuses that we were, we decided the best place for her to go would be behind a tree somewhere. Unfortunately we didn’t make it to a tree in the back yard, like we planned…actually; we didn’t make it behind a tree at all. I guess she couldn’t take it anymore, and I wasn’t about to blow our cover by letting her into my house, so in the middle of my front lawn, my friend took a pee. Our night was saved and we continued to have a fulfilling thirty minutes of play time beyond that.

Living independently presents a solution to the problem that I faced many years ago. I no longer need to finish my broccoli unless I want to. I no longer have to make my bed every morning. I no longer have to fear having my friends sent home by my parents. My friends and I can continue to have midnight adventures without the stress of knowing that a bathroom may not be available for use. My toilet is open all night, but just as a reminder…you’re still responsible for the grocery shopping. BUY TOILET PAPER.


Written by Cecily Lewis, Community Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment